Here at NC A&T State University, we believe it is never too early to prepare for our future as a member of the most dynamic and talented auxiliary in HBCU bands,- the versatile women of Golden Delight!
High School Sophomores and Juniors, make sure you are taking dance classes, staying in shape and attending prep clinics over the years. Becoming a Sweetheart of the MEAC is an act of commitment and dedication that begins long before you are ready to attend NC A&T!
Golden Delight Staff
2020 Golden Delight Auditions
for Returning Candidates
If you auditioned for our ensemble in the past, you still have to be invited back to the audition process for 2020. It is a new year so you will have to submit another video or attend a clinic. (although the clinic is highly recommended for audition prep)
DATES FOR NEXT AUDITION: February 7-9, 2020
The spring (February) audition is the primary tryout experience. However, we do conduct an express audition in June of each year to potentially add a small number of highly qualified ladies to round out the ensemble. These auditions are highly competitive! Those women will immediately join the rest of the team for Summer Intensives on June 26-28, 2020.
As a top collegiate band auxiliary program, Golden Delight has a rigorous selection and training process. We seek to provide as much information up front to assist candidates in their preparation. On average, successful candidates spent at least one full year intentionally working to refine skills to audition for our team. Pre-audition season should be taken very seriously to be competitive.
In the meantime, please feel free to review the Prospective Member Guide to get some preliminary information about our auditions!
Once you review this guide, if you have specific questions, please email us at email@example.com and we will provide responses. Requests for "more information" will not be honored,- as all the information related to auditions is found in this detailed informative guide.
Overview of Selection Process
1. Candidates must submit a video or attend a clinic to be invited to the audition. Once the staff has review your video (or abilities as demonstrated at the clinic), selected candidates will be invited to the in person audition.
2. Once invited, candidates will receive a detailed packet to prepare for auditions that share what to wear, the schedule, how to prepare, what to expect, etc.
3. At auditions, invited candidates are taken through a series of activities and evaluations to measure showmanship/appeal, dance technique, stamina/physique, twirling potential, and attitude.
4. Selected ladies attend a two day summer intensive June 26-28, 2020 and then report for band camp the last Saturday in July. Band camp lasts until school begins.
Please download the Prospective Member Guide and check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Successful candidates have typically attended 2 or more clinics in the years prior to auditions. This is important to transition from your current style of performance.
Ideal Candidates: Can I Be a Golden Delight?
Although our ladies have a diverse performance background, the Golden Delight staff is happy to share the skills that selected candidates typically possess to help you prepare.
- Toned physique/good health & fitness/ stamina
- Dance background in the areas of jazz and ballet
- Experience (familiarity) with marching band auxiliary
- Performance confidence and dynamic showmanship
- Flexibility and Agility
- At least 1 Year of Twirling Experience (Flags) - or have attended several clinics to learn twirling basics
- 2+ Years of Twirling Experience (Baton Twirlers) - Must have comfort with multiple batons and be very flexible
- Ability to learn quickly
- Great attitude and enjoys working with a team
- Natural Leadership
- Tumbling/gymnastics experience
- Strong Academic Record (Acceptance to NC A&T State University is very competitive. You must be admitted to audition. )